Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:11:20 +0200
From:      "Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen" <ncbp@bank-pedersen.dk>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest kernel/module restructuring

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 04:04:20PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:00:06 -0400, Michael Lucas wrote:
>
> > Some of us rebuild kernels without supping.  I, for one, play with all
> > sorts of kernel options to see what they do.
>
> Then you probably want the kernel reinstall target.  I don't think that
> this target is available from src/Makefile.inc1, so you'd have to use
> the old style of kernel building.
>
> If you want something like ``make reinstallkernel'' from /usr/src to
> work, you should probably ask marcel nicely.
>
> But the original proposal was ill-conceived and simply won't cut it.

Hmm, how about those of us doing buildworlds/buildkernels on
one (nfs)server for subsequent installworlds/installkernels
on multiple other machines?
With the current targets, you either have to build modules
over and over againg for each `client', or you have to accept
that /boot/kernel/* gets nuked when running installkernel
(or, as you point out, one can use the old manual scheme).

> Sheldon.

/Niels Chr.

--
 Niels Christian Bank-Pedersen, NCB1-RIPE.

 "Hey, are any of you guys out there actually *using* RFC 2549?"