Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:28:55 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Reconfigured named, but now getting errors

You have asked your nameserver for the RR for www.vickiandstacey.com.

> zone "vickiandstacey.com" in {
>         type master;
>         file "master/vickiandstacey.com.db";
>         allow-query{ 127/8; 192.168.1/24; };
> };

You have told your nameserver that it is authoritative for vickiandstacey.com.

> $TTL 3600
> vickiandstacey.com.     IN      SOA     Demon.vickiandstacey.com.
> postmaster.vickiandstacey.com. (
>                                 2002101605      ; Serial
>                                 10800           ; Refresh
>                                 3600            ; Retry
>                                 604800          ; Expire
>                                 86400 )         ; Minimum TTL
>
> @                       IN      NS      Demon.vickiandstacey.com.
>
> localhost               IN      A       127.0.0.1
> Demon                   IN      A       192.168.1.8
> snowball                IN      A       192.168.1.6

You have told your nameserver that there is no such host as
www.vickiandstacey.com.

Ergo, it has responded:

> *** localhost.vickiandstacey.com can't find www.vickiandstacey.com:
> Non-existent host/domain

This is why I suggested using private.vickiandstacey.com for your private
LAN.

Ceri

PS I have the mails you sent me privately, but don't currently have time to
read or respond to them - I'll try and get to it later this evening.
--
you can't see when light's so strong
you can't see when light is gone