Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:13:29 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDI netscape and name resolving

> Marc van Kempen stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I have run into a problem with the BSDI version of netscape and
> > name resolving.
>
> the BSD/OS version of Netscape appears to ignore /etc/host.conf and
> wants to talk to a nameserver.  You will need to run a forwarding
> nameserver on your firewall (or somewhere else) to be able to use it
> to resolve external hosts.

I have a forwarding nameserver running on my firewall.
All the other socks5 tools (rtelnet, rftp, etc) are running fine.
So I guess that part of the configuration works.

> > I'm trying to run it through our firewall here, with the http-gw
> > from the fwtk there
> > are no problems, but with socks5 it gives an error about no
> > route to host.
>
> We run Netscape 3.0 here behind a socks4 proxy, although we specify
> the proxy by IP not name.

I also specify the the proxy by IP, but then I get the 'no route
to host' error message.

Everything works in the whole network, except the bsdi netscape
trying to use the socks5 proxy. It *does* work with http-gw proxy.

It must be some obscure interaction between socks5 and the bsdi
netscape, but I have no clue :(

Thanks,
Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl