Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:08:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Stef telford" <stef@Chronozon.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Version of FreeBSD and Maestro-2e

Hello everyone,
	Firstly let me apologise if this isnt the right list for this email,
but i took sometime to do a little research and think it is, so please bear
with me here ;)

	I am a recent convert from that other *nix brand, the one that
seems to deal with penguins. I have been using that on and off for 5 years
along with Solaris and (god help my soul) HP-UX.

	i would like to think that I am somewhat capable in *nix and
compiling kernels and what have you.

	I recently installed FreeBSD4 (the stable release iso image). It
went fine, not a problem with anything. Pcmcia was even detected and
managed to setup ed1 and routing to my gateway and everything was
peachy.

	The only problem is, when I go into X, there is no sound. de nada.
nothing. not a beep. Now, I looked at the dmesg output, and sure enough
it DOES find the maestro-2e on the laptop, but it doesnt auto-configure
any /dev/sound or /dev/pcm.

	So the question is, is this actively supported (eg, can it work
rather than jst be detected) and what 'version' would I need to install
to get it working, -Stable or -Release or even -Current ?

	I really dont want to go Opensound, although I could, as Opensound
drivers only work with 3.4 and -Stable (v4) seems to have better Pcmcia.

	Thanks for the time and sorry if this is one of those annoying FAQS.
If i am doing something totally and horrible stupid, feel free to smack me
on the
head (but please be careful, i am trying to grow horns there ;)

	deepest regards,
	Stefs