Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:40:11 -0800
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Toshiba Satellite 2595XDVD

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 11:04:45AM -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com> wrote:
>
> >   I'm running 3.3-STABLE (Last world made Nov 6) on a Toshiba Satellite
> > 2595XDVD.  Mostly working; exceptions are the "built-in modem" (LoseModem;
>      [ ... ]
> >   The machine has an ESS ES1978 (Maestro-2) chip in it. Nothing I've tried
>
>      As far as I can tell, the Maestro-2 is not yet supported, even in
> FreeBSD-current (I'm getting a laptop with a Maestro-2 chip, and so this
> is of interest to me).  I've heard rumors of "soon" (perhaps within the
> 2 or 3 months), but nothing definite.  Hopefully, someone who has hard
> information will comment.
>
>      However, 4Front Technologies supposedly sells commercial drivers
> for FreeBSD 3.3 and -current, and the Maestro-2 is supposed to be
> supported.  I don't know how well they work, though.  For more
> information, see:
>
> 	http://www.4front-tech.com/freebsd.html

Yup, that's OSS.  4Front is the company, OpenSound System, the product.
Doesn't work.  As I said, on the Toshiba, *everything* (afaict) is tied
to one IRQ, with no way to change it.  OSS sees this, say's "Horrors! a
shared IRQ! AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!" and dies.  Doesn't seem exactly reasonable
to me, given that IRQ's on PCI are *supposed* to be shareable. Oh, well.

Thanks for the thoughts.

--
Dann Lunsford       The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
dann@greycat.com    is that men of good will do nothing.  --  Cicero