Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:04:58 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Mark Hughes <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Closing PPP connection opened using ppp -auto

on Jul 18 20:45, i got this from User...
> 	Do a kill -HUP ppp process number.  I use sudo which allows me to let
> normal users reset this process that is started as root.  If you want, I can
> send you the steps on how to do this.  It beats logging in as root everytime
> to kill a connection.
>
> Ian
>
> As it was put forth by Mark Hughes on Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:57:05PM +0100...
> > If I've opened a PPP connection using the line...
> >
> > ppp -auto adsl
> >
> > (where adsl is the profile name)
> >
> > and the line has come up with usage, as is expected, how do I force a
> > disconnect? The only way I can find to do it at the moment is by running

see sections 'SIGNAL HANDLING' & 'PPP COMMAND LIST' in ppp man page.

one can even do away w/ sudo if you have something like this in your
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf...

------------
default:
 .
 .
 .
 allow user <user id>

...say, if a user had started ppp, then that user can send INT
signal to close the connection but not quit ppp. HUP signal, among
others, will make ppp to quit entirely.

at the risk of being wrong ... just make sure the user is in 'network'
group, then you don't need to be root.

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?
	 - parv