Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:01:30 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Fran.Lawas-Grodek@grc.nasa.gov, Cindy.Tran@grc.nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark.Allman@grc.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Problem in High Speed and Long Delay with FreeBSD

> Testing commands used:
>   receiver> ttcp -b 312500 -l 1024 -r -s
>   sender>   ttcp -b 312500 -l 1024 -n 100000 -s -t receiverhost

Pure speculation:

Since you are writing 1K at a time, could it be an N^2 effect
while appending mbufs?  Since you can have many MBs in the
pipe due to large delay*BW, you can potentially have many
many mbufs.  The Nth write will have to traverse O(N) mbuf
chains to append the new data.  One way to test is to
increase the -l parameter value to something large and see if
the throughput improves.  If this is the case, FreeBSD will
have to optimize this common case for stream protocols.

Note that I haven't even looked at the relevant FreeBSD code!
For all I know it may already be doing this.

-- bakul