Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:40:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: audio bitorder (was: Re: Problem with ELSA Quickstep 3000)

Hellmuth Michaelis writes:
> > And while we're on this issue, did we change the bitorder of the
> > A-law to be compatible with programs like sox etc ?
>
> I've talked to Stefan Bethke about this, and i'm still not convinced which
> bitorder is the "right" one:

The "right" bitorder for A-law/U-law data as it travels over an
ISDN line is most-significant-bit first. This is so your D/A
converter can start converting the sample upon receiving the first
bit.

Also, traditionally bytes are transmitted over HDLC serial connections
with the low-order bit first (for example, Ethernet -- that's why
the low-order bit of the first address byte determines unicast vs.
multi- or broad-cast).

So the HSCX is being consistent here in treating an 8-bit A-law/U-law
quantity as having the most significant bit in bit position zero.

However, this "seems" backwards and that is probably why /dev/audio
does it the other way around.

-Archie