Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 15:58:04 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        Stephane Raimbault <segr@segr.ml.org>, Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        Brian <asura@xs3.dyn.ml.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail...slow boot...

You could also change the order from "bind then hosts" to "hosts then bind" in resolv.conf.

Then be sure to tell sendmail to look at the host file(sendmail.cf?) and edit /etc/hosts.

# default character set

#O DefaultCharSet=iso-8859-1

# service switch file (ignored on Solaris, Ultrix, OSF/1, others)

#O ServiceSwitchFile=/etc/service.switch

# hosts file (normally /etc/hosts)

O HostsFile=/etc/hosts

# dialup line delay on connection failure

#O DialDelay=10s

At 09:31 AM 5/21/98 +0000, Stephane Raimbault wrote:

>Check your nameservers (/etc/resolv.conf) recently my ISP changed my DNS

>numbers without letting me know.  The symptoms were, incredibly long boot

>times with sendmail seeming to hang.  Long time before I would get a

>telnet prompt from remote location.  Pine seem to be freezing on me it was

>so slow.

>Hope this helps,

>Stephane R.

>On Thu, 21 May 1998, Studded wrote:

>> Brian wrote:

>> > I may have not correctly posted my last question, so I ask again.

>> > I remember reading somewhere that some things cause the system to

>> > take longer to boot...ie: sendmail takes a long time to load, etc.

>> 	It looks to me like you're trying to start things that require a

>> network connection before you have one established.

>> Doug

>> --

>> ***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***

>> ***   Proud designer and maintainer of one of the world's largest

>> *** Internet Relay Chat server with 5,328 simultaneous connections

>> ***   Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

<smaller>The beer is too cold, the daiquiris too fruitful, there's no
place like home!

Jimmy Buffett "The weather is here, Wish you were beautiful"

Jon Lyons

parrothd@midwest.net

87 HONDA VFR700

http://cplkagan.dyn.ml.org/</smaller>;