Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 23:55:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

> On Sun, 23 Apr 1995, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >
> > all 'news' items have the following headder tacked on the FRONT of them
> > before being gated to usenet:

> > * purposes only. Replies to USENET on this topic will NOT be seen          *
> > * by the original posters. to reply, send mail to:                         *
> > * FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org                                            *
> > * send mail to majordome@FreeBSD.org, stating 'help' for more information  *
>                  ^^^^^^^^^(majordomo)
> Or at least shorten the banner to something like:
well, YES if you must know...
it can't be missed,
and all those thiings need to be said..
I'd settle for:

******
* forwarded from the FreeBSD-questions mailing list.
* Replies to USENET on this topic will NOT be seen
* by the original posters. to reply, send mail to:
* FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org (answers or followups)
* send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org, stating 'help' for more information
******

I think your version is TOO brief..
part of the effect of the banner is to reinforce the idea that there is
more going on than just the USENET group shows.

> [ Reposted from the FreeBSD-questions mailing list!  To subscribe to this ]
> [  list, send mail to majordomo@freebsd.org with "help" in message body.  ]
>
> ... and set Reply-To: to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org like someone
> else mentioned.

If we are sure that works for all NEWS software....

julian