Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:11:43 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MMAP() in STABLE/CURRENT ...

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, David E. Cross wrote:

> I believe I stumbled over this as well.   (As a side note, you can run DDB
> over a serial console too, just compile with DDB, and DDB_UNATTENDED so your
> system will come back if it unexpectedly panics; on the serial console send
> a 'break').

And today's trick question...how do you send a break? :(  I'm telnet'd
into a Livingston Portmaster, with 'telnet -E' to disable the telnet
break...I have DDB and DDB_UNATTENDED enabled and running right now, so if
I can get this break issue working, then I'm all set for the next time if
it happens :)

> Anyway, I have a simple program that mmap()s a 1Gig file into memory,
> madvise()s it that it will be doing random access.  If I quit and restart
> this program a couple of times (yes, it close()s and munmap()s the segment),
> my system will hard lock.  By dropping into DDB once I found that it was
> stuck in 'vm_somethingorother_choosepage'.  Does this ring any bells?  Should
> I try to stop my system again?

Just to prepare myself, if/when I get that break to work...you just did a
'trace', or is there something else I'll want to do in DDB?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org