Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 16:59:23 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        uwi@mail.delfi.lv
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x11amp doesnt work

> From: uwi@mail.delfi.lv
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 23:52:51 GMT
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi guys,
>
> For some reason I cant get to work x based sound apps like X11amp / etc....
> I get either this:
> "Unable to open the audio device"
> or something like /dev/dsp device busy
> hmmm.....
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> system freebsd 4.3
> %cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jul 17 2001 09:28:24
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xc800 irq 9 (1p/1r channels
> duplex)

Several possibilities come to mind. The most obvious is that some other
program has grabbed the device and will not let go. Try lsof to see if
something else has it open. (lsof is in ports if you don't have it on
your system.)

I have a similar card (ES1373-8) and some of the devices have never
worked. One response I had was that it would work if I booted Windows
and then shutdown and booted FreeBSD. That would make it work until
power was lost.

I have not tried this as it's a FreeBSD only system and I have no Windows
to boot.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)