Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 12:41:11 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        des@ofug.org, will@csociety.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing XFree86 package via sysinstall: need X wrapper or not?

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 12:26:49AM +0900, Makoto Matsushita wrote:
> Current situations:
> 	3) The startx users think that XFree86 4.2 is broken, X server
> 	   can't start.  FreeBSD bundles XFree86 4.2.  As a result,
> 	   they says "Latest FreeBSD's X server is broken."
>
> How to solve:
> 	4a) Write documents, to explain that "startx users should
> 	    install X wrapper separately, since sysinstall doesn't
> 	    automatically install the wrapper."
> 	4b) Install X wrapper after XFree86 installation is finished.
> 	4c) Add X wrapper itself into XFree86 meta-port.
> 	4d) Do nothing.
>
> Current situation is 4d), I propose 4b) in the last email, and some
> others suggests 4c).

You will have the same problem with `pkg_add -r XFree86' if you choose
"4b".  That is why I am opposed to only handling it in Sysinstall.

In addition to "4c", the granular menu of X bits one wishes to install
needs to be re-added.  I tried this, but either bugs in libdialog or my
knowledge of its API caused me to fail in the short time I had to do the
XF4 changes this before 4.6.