Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 14:01:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        shannon <shannon@magickalhome.com>
Cc:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>, Oliver Thuns <oliver.thuns@gmx.de>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: su root: "su: you are not in the correct group to su root."

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, shannon wrote:

> >On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Oliver Thuns wrote:
> >
> >> I tried to su root, but I get the error "su: you are not in the correct
> >> group to su root."
> >>
> >> How can I set the correct group for that user?
> >>
> >> This is my first FreeBSD installation, I user Debian before, but it
> >> seems that FreeBSD has a better performance on an 486 with 8MB RAM.
> >
> >Edit /etc/group and add yourself to the wheel group.
> >

> Why is it than when I execute adduser or if I do it from sysinstall that the
> wheel group is not updated in /etc/group?  I add a user to wheel in the
> adduser utilities and I still have to mannually add them in the group file.

They *must* be listed in /etc/group, it *cannot* be their login group,
which is what you may be setting.  From adduser, when asked to 'invite
into groups', put 'wheel' on that line and you'll get the desired result.
Or login as root and modify /etc/group yourself ;)  list the usernames
separating with commas only, ie

root:0:*:user1,user2,user3