Date:      Sun, 05 May 1996 01:46:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jim Fleming <JimFleming@unety.net>
Cc:        "'Darren Reed'" <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, wollman@freebsd.org, "FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org" <FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPv8 Tutorial #1: Minimal IPv8 hack

> Does the word "Free" in FreeBSD mostly stand for Free as in Money
> or freedom as in freedom of choice...???

Free as in freely available, if you were seriously looking for an
answer to that question.

However, the rules of quality control stipulate that you also don't
take just any damn thing you're offered or pretty soon you start
looking more like AIX than you do like BSD.  That would be terrible,
and it certainly won't happen so long as the current core team is in
charge.

Finally, there is also a high degree of compartmentalization in the
FreeBSD project and, last I checked, it was not even the members of
this group you have to convince about IPv8 going in as a default part
of the system.  Garrett Wollman is in charge of networking, we've
grown to respect his judgement enough over the years to delegate final
authority over that area to him and, if he suddently decides that IPv8
is god's gift to FreeBSD, you're probably a shoo-in with very little
debate.  If, on the other hand, he thinks otherwise then you've a
snowball's chance in hell of getting this into FreeBSD and there's not
even any point in taking your case here.

Now, would that mean we're all hateful people who are determined to
keep IPv8 out of FreeBSD?  Of course not, we'd simply suggest (as
Warner did) that you distribute it independantly, as *many other*
people have done with their private enhancements to FreeBSD.  I'll
even give you space on the various archive sites to store the diffs.

					Jordan