Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:09:14 -0700
From:      Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
To:        Kurtis Smith <ksscendyn@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 4.3 S Macintosh and Dhcpd having problems with OS 8.6

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 12:29:03PM -0700, Kurtis Smith wrote:
> [Reformatted for legibility]
>
> Ok gurus I have not posted or answered here in a while since my 4.3
> Stable box is doing so well.
>
> So here is my story...
>
> So I setup DHCPD and its working fine on all my Windoze boxes.  The
> problem I am having is on macintosh it pics up the settings properly
> from the DHCPD but its not getting any DNS somehow.  Funny thing is it
> works fine on all the other machines I connected to the 8 port switch.
> I only have one Macintrash to test on though.  If anyone has any ideas
> let me know.  Thanks again.
>
> Its basically looking for the website on IE 5 for Mac and its got
> connection lights on the switch.  However its just not talking to DNS
> somehow or something.
>
> Well I have tried manually putting it in and tried BootP server.. But
> neither of those are working either... Kinda stumped since I am not a
> Mac guy.

You don't say what MacOS version you are running, so I'll assume 9. I
run dhcpd on FreeBSD and I have no problem with Macs running 9 or
OSX. One thing to check is whether the Mac is overriding the DNS info
that DHCP is trying to send. The DNS server field in the TCP/IP
control panel should be empty if DHCP is to be setting the DNS
servers.

If you are running something older than OS 9, then the exact opposite
advice may be in order (I think the older Mac software didn't know to
pick up that info).