Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 19:01:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        rwatson@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system locks with vnode backed md(4)

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Michal Mertl wrote:

Including rwatson because of the thread on hackers@.

Sorry for follow-up to myself.

> Recently there was a discussion about jails on some freebsd list. Someone
> recommended vnconfig(8)ed file-backed disk for jail file systems. Terry
> wrote there are problems with it. I liked the idea and played with
> mdconfig(8)ed devices on current. Terry was right - I can easily make the
> system deadlock. I really like the idea of jails in vnode-backed

I'm now unable to make it dead-lock again. Yet it happened quite easily. I
had more md backing files in the same directory at the beginning (to test
Terry's suspicion mentioned in thread 'jail' on hackers@).

After the first lock-up I tried 'while(1);tar xzf ports.tgz; rm -rf
ports;end' on normal filesystem, let it run for long time (> 1h) and then
I found the system almost dead-locked too (the system worked, but anything
accessing disk was painfully slow - it might be the same problem or it
might be different. It never ended (at least for > ~30 mins when I didn't
(weren't able) anything on it). syncer and bufdaemon and others were in
wdrain. Disk as seen in systat -v showed maximal usage yet no inodes were
resolved. Sometimes during that test I had lock order reversal:

../../../kern/kern_synch.c:152: sleeping with "mntvnode" locked from ../../../kern/vfs_subr.c:3016
lock order reversal
1st 0xc03a0aa0 mntvnode (mntvnode) @ ../../../kern/vfs_subr.c:3016

The 2nd isn't unfortunately saved in logs but it was Giant.

I'll try to get more problems and get more info (show lockedvnods, show
locks).

show locks with first dead-lock showed only Giant AFAIR.

--
Michal Mertl
mime@traveller.cz