Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2006 06:07:44 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        "Sean C. Farley" <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gif problems in -STABLE

Sean C. Farley wrote:
>> I just updated one of my machines from RELENG_6 as of 2006-11-03, to
>> RELENG_6 as of 2006-12-29.  This caused the IPv6 tunnel which this box
>> uses, which had been doing fine for months, to suddenly stop working.
>> For some reason, the ifconfig command now fails to create the proper
>> routing table entries.  With the 2006-11-03 kernel, if I configure my
>> gif0 tunnel as follows:
>
> I can confirm my setup with Hurricane Electric also started failing at
> some point:
> I needed to add the following to restore the old (working) behavior:
> ipv6_static_routes="defroute"
> ipv6_route_defroute="AAAA:BBBB:CCCC:DDDD::1C -interface gif0"

By doing some nice bisection debugging, I've narrowed the problem down
to this specific commit:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet6/nd6.c#rev1.48.2.16

If you revert this change, tunnel configuration will work as before
again.  I'm now investigating the diff itself, to see if I can find an
error in there anywhere... :)

Cheers,
Dimitry