Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 21:27:21 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Sergey Klusov <shy@geoseis.t72.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 05:16:58PM +0600, Sergey Klusov wrote:
> Hello
>
>      I'm trying to setup a FreeBSD as a NIS server and Solaris 8 as a
>      NIS client, it looks like that client can get any info of the
>      imported users, except password
>      that is then i become a root on solaris box and then su -
>      nis_user
>      it works, but if i try to logon as nis_user it fails
>
>      Anyone tried such config?

I haven't, although one of these days I do want to get our Solaris boxen
into the same NIS domain as the BSD/Linux machines.

Anyway, your problem is probably shadow passwords -- when Solaris sees an
invalid password in the 'passwd' map I believe it attempts to look up the
real password in 'passwd.adjunct', whereas your FreeBSD server keeps the
shadow passwords in 'master.passwd'.  Linux is different again, expecting
to to find the shadow passwords in the 'shadow' map.  To get our Linux
clients to talk to the FreeBSD server I had to extend /var/yp/Makefile to
create the 'shadow' map as well as 'master.passwd'.  Search the
freebsd-hackers archive for "FreeBSD NIS serving linux clients" for
details, including the Makefile patches.

You can probably do somethig similar to support Solaris, if you can find
out what format the passwd.adjunct map has.  Google throws up plenty of
hits, including manpages, so that shouldn't be too hard to do.

HTH,

	Scott