Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:40:53 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Tom Vilot <tom@vilot.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP / Apache bus error

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 10:02 -0700, Tom Vilot wrote:
> > But then, I've found most apache/php errors actually derive from some
> > php extension and this can be traced by a process of elimination. It's
> > often then a dependency of the extension that has been updated, or
> > something.
>
> I'm starting to think there's something funky about PHP and MySQL.
>
> > > Is this something that will clear up if I move to FreeBSD 5.3? Or is
> > > there some other known work-around? I ask because I have a 5.3 box here
> > > at home that does not seem to be exhibiting this behavior.
>
> > Yes, but going to 4.11 should fix it as well.
>
> Can you explain why? What is it about 4.11 vs 4.9 with regard to this issue?

Just that it's an up-to-date release.

PHP and its extensions do depend on bits of the base system. You are
using the very latest ported version, so far as I can see, with an out
of date world.

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

says:

<quote>
The Ports Collection supports the latest release on the FreeBSD-CURRENT
and FreeBSD-STABLE branches. Older releases are not supported and may or
may not work correctly with an up-to-date ports collection. Over time,
changes to the ports collection may rely on features that are not
present in older releases. Wherever convenient, we try not to
gratuitously break support for recent releases, but it is sometimes
unavoidable. When this occurs, patches contributed by the user community
to maintain support for older releases will usually be committed.
</quote>

Peter.

Peter.