Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:58:02 -0700
From:      freebsd_questions@iahp.org
To:        jmarakaki@gmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Initial install of FreeBSD and adding additional hardware

--bound1118336282

Freebsd 5.4 kernel supports a wide variety of SATA controllers and it should have no problems detecting it on startup, provided you have the appropriate kernel config directives installed.  But check the hardware compatibility list to make sure, remember to look at the chipset controller and not the brand of the card.

> should I wait until the
> additional hardware is purchased and installed before installing and
> setting up FreeBSD, or would it be okay for me to install and setup
> FreeBSD and then add on the additional hardware later?

Depends on your setup.  If you want to boot off your new SATA drive than it would be easier to wait, but if you have experience with bsd disk slices and installing than it would be no problem to add it, take a look here http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-adding.html.

Regards

Hi,

I'm trying out FreeBSD on a side computer that I eventually want to
use as a small home server.  I was planning on purchasing a PCI SATA
adapter card and an SATA drive, to complement the hard drive already
inside the computer.  My question is: should I wait until the
additional hardware is purchased and installed before installing and
setting up FreeBSD, or would it be okay for me to install and setup
FreeBSD and then add on the additional hardware later?

Thanks!

-Joel