Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:29:26 +0100
From:      martin.clausen@privat.dk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   GDM - configured as per the documentation but stil chrashes - FreeBSD 4.9 an d 5.1

I cannot get GDM2 to work on neither 4.9(nor 5.1.)

GDM chrashes at boot time no matter what I do.

I use the gnome2-2.4.0 package. I have tried to install it at install time(=
which results in the gdm users not being created), installed it afterwards =
and compiled it from source(using ports), but the result is the same: gdm c=
hrashes X at boot time.

I have followed the instructions given at package install, that is copied t=
he /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh.sample to /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh. I have =
also copied the /usr/x11R6/etc/gdm/factory-gdm.conf to /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/g=
dm.conf. I have not touched the /etc/ttys file, it is vanilla as installed.

I have searched the net in vain for any tips on how to fix this, the only t=
hings I have found are the ones I have tried already. The pam fix(from http=
://people.freebsd.org/~marcus/pam_get_user.c.diff
) should not apply to 4.9 so I have not treid that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martin