Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:13:20 -0400
From:      Jake <jake@checker.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   a possible NAT setup

Hi,

this fall some friends and are thinking of getting a cable modem
or an ADSL connection and would like to access it from three computers
using a network address translator, FreeBSD of course, probably -stable.
This mainly applies to the cable modem, since with ADSL we could get
three IP addresses eliminating the need for any translating.

What kind of CPU power will the NAT need for it not to be a bottleneck
between us and the internet?  I have a 386DX40 I was thinking of using;
8 megs of RAM, 2 100 megs hard drives and 2 ne2000 ethernet cards.
Will this thing be able to keep up with the cable modem?
It would probably also be a mail server, ftp server and web server,
maybe samba to share a printer, but with very little load on those services
since its just the three of us.
The other machines are reasonably fast pentiums; one running
FreeBSD-current ( my machine :) ), the other two running win95.

What kind of network applications will we be able to use from behind
the NAT?  I generally just web surf, ftp, cvsup to keep my ports current,
etc.  My friends are into IRC, ICQ and network games, quake2, etc.
Stuff I couldn't care less about, but they will be paying 1/3 of the bill so...
Can they use these services without a real IP?

I've read a bunch of articles about setting up the network and stuff,
I'm sure I can do it relatively easily, I'm just worried they won't be happy
without a direct internet connection.
Is there another package besides ipfw that would be better suited to our needs?

Thanks