Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:42:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP modem not recognized at boot, but by pnpinfo(8)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Gary Kline wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 12:15:02PM -0400, Antoine Beaupre wrote:
>
> 	Here is a long-shot suggestion: check your BIOS configuration
> 	to be certain that it matches with what the probe is looking
> 	for.  Something very similar happened to me when trying to
> 	configure my backup FreeBSD-4.0 system with a modem on ``COM2''
> 	and the problem was an incorrectly set BIOS.

Hummm.. What is the probe looking for? What am I looking for in the BIOS?

The only thing I could see would be the section where I setup the "PnP/PCI
config". There I can set a few variables such as:

Resources controlled by: auto [auto|manual]

{This is a list of IRQs appearing only when I set the above parameter to
"manual", they all default to PnP/PCI}
Irq X : [Legacy ISA|PnP/PCI]

where X ranges from 1 to 15

It is possible that this is a BIOS problem since I had a CMOS battery
problem between the upgrades (lucky me:)), but then again how come the
modem works in windoze?

I'm really tired of using the crappy so-called "HyperTerminal" to connect
to the "net".

And I don't trust windows a bit for security. This modem thingie is the
only thing that keeps me from throwing Windows out of the window. :))

A.

--
It is now safe to throw your computer out of the windows