Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:34:32 -0800
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "anthony" <apryan@mail.away.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD4.2-RELEASE kernel rebuilding errors

----- Original Message -----
From: "anthony" <apryan@mail.away.net>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 6:05 PM
Subject: FreeBSD4.2-RELEASE kernel rebuilding errors

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions
> to this unusal error I have obtained when attempting to
> build a new kernel from /usr/src's make buildkernel=APRYAN.
> From there I obtained the bellow errors.
>
> Prior to doing it via /usr/src's Makefile, I config'd and
> made it manually via /usr/src/sys/compile/APRYAN. 'APRYAN'
> being the kernel config.
>
> Since the kernel obviously didnt install via 'make buildkernel',
> would the manual way of doing it work? Would I have to recompile
> the modules as well?
> Thanks in advanced.
> -anthony

Hi....I think that you are using the wrong procedure to build a new kernel.
There are two different ways to compile a new kernel.  One of them is used
when compiling a kernel after updating your sources via cvsup or ctm.  The
other is used when you have not updated your sources.  From what I can tell
of your email, you have attempted to combine the two methods.  The full
procedure is given in the handbook, but I will quote the relevant portions
here.

I am assuming that you have not updated your sources, as your email
indicates that you are using a -RELEASE of FreeBSD.  If you have updated
your sources than the following will not work.

1) Edit your Kernel file....From your email you seem to have done this.
2) Time for config...your email seems to indicate that you may have done
this.
   #cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
3) change to the build directory # cd ../../compile/APRYAN
4) # make depend
5) # make
6) # make install

This is all there is to it.  The installkernel kernl=MYKERNEL and so forth
commands are only used if you have updated your sources.  I would recommend
doing all of the above steps.  Don't worry if you have done some of them
already, it won't hurt anything to do them again.

Here is a link to the relevent section of the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

Good luck,
Josh