Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:45:43 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?k=20s?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FBSD and X install- to upgrade or get latest?

Hi all,
I have a c810e intel integrated motherboard with 810
video chipset. I have been wholly unsuccessful
installing FBSD4.2 and then X so it works.
Using the X3.3.3 version (I think it is) off the new
4.2 disk set installs no worries no worries but it
doesn't support my video adapter! So....
I had troubles doing a clean install this time using
ftp files of X ver 4.2 (wouldn't read some of the
tgz's  etc) So I tried a clean install this time using
sysinstall and installing x ver 4.1 I found on the new
"extra packages" diskset. Troubles again. It hung
trying to pkg_add the xservers and another (man??)
I don't want to give up but it seems I am just wasting
my time. I now seek your help.
* What if I clean install x ver 3.3.x from my standard
FBSD4.2  disk1 and then upgrade BEFORE configuring x
??
 How do I upgrade then? From where? I am assuming my
disk4 x packages have errors!
I am a bit of a newbie here.
I would really appreciate some step by step.
Kind regards
Keith Spencer Townsville Australia (Great Barrier
Reef)