Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 19:11:40 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compact flash card

On 2000-08-03 13:37 -0400, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to get an ata compact flash card to work under FreeBSD
> 4.1-RELEASE in an IBM Thinkpad 600.  I'm running into problems because
> FreeBSD cannot see the compact flash card.  pccardd says:
> 	No card in database for "(null)"("(null)")
>
> If I do 'pccardc dumpcis ' I see:
> 	Configuration data for card in slot 1
> 	Tuple #1, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0
>
> The card is a Kingston cf/48 in a Kingston "Compact Flash PC Card
> Adapter" I've also tried other compact cards in their own compact-pc
> card adapters (including an IBM microdrive and an ne2000 ethernet
> clone) and they all behave the same way.

I bought a Kingston cf/64 last weekend and got it to work.  I added
this entry to pccardd.conf:

# Kingston Compact Flash Card
card "KINGSTON TECHNOLOGY CF CARD" "V5.00"
        config  0x1 "ata2" ? iosize 16
        insert  logger -t pccard:$device -s Compact Flash Card inserted
        remove  logger -t pccard:$device -s Compact Flash Card removed

The insertion and removal events work just fine:

Aug  3 18:37:25 trurl /kernel: pccard: card inserted, slot 0
Aug  3 18:37:31 trurl pccardd[44]: Card "KINGSTON TECHNOLOGY CF CARD"("V5.00") matched "KINGSTON TECHNOLOGY CF CARD" ("V5.00")
Aug  3 18:37:36 trurl /kernel: ata2 at port 0x240-0x24f irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0
Aug  3 18:37:36 trurl /kernel: ad4: 61MB <Hitachi ATA Card> [978/4/32] at ata2-master using BIOSPIO
Aug  3 20:09:02 trurl /kernel: pccard: card removed, slot 0
Aug  3 20:09:03 trurl /kernel: stray irq 11
Aug  3 20:09:03 trurl pccard:ata2: Compact Flash Card removed

The card is a FAT filesystem:

/dev/ad4s1c             /cf             msdos   rw,noauto       0       0

The only problem I have with this card is that I can only insert and
remove once in between reboots.  The second insertion works fine, but
as soon as I try to mount the filesystem, the entire system crashes
and burns--definitely NOT a desired occurrence!  I've yet to write to
Soeren about it though.  (I am going to try Soeren because it appears
to be an ATA problem rather than a pccard problem.)  If anyone has any
suggestions, please toss 'em out here and I'll try them.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                    Computing is a terminal addiction.
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org