Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:24:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: no nic found

Well I hate to contribute more easy questions to the list, but
can someone actually link to some documentation?  The closest
coverage I could find in the handbook is 5 paragraphs, none of
which say anything about the new setup.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/laptop/article.html

The release notes are just as quiet.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/

Googling turns up a lot of 4.x info, and the cbb man page is
less than enlightening, as is the cardbus man page.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=cbb&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.3-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=cardbus&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.3-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

So please, if you have some FM that I can R that actually
explains how to set up my NIC then link it.  Curse me under your
breath, talk down to me, go all Napolean Dynamite about it if
you will, but I'd really like to get this laptop moved to 5.x.
Incidentally, if this is such a FAQ then maybe it should be in
the FAQs, I checked there too.

This is getting to be a FAQ. It is documented in the Handbook
and
release notes, but keeps popping up. Unless your system is
fairly
old, it's unlikely that the problem discussed in PR is causing a
problem.

By default, V5 does not use pccardd any more. It uses cbb and
cardbus. pccardd won't run or start with the GENERIC config.

What is your config? What does dmesg show? Is devd running? (It
is
critical to getting devices to attach.) rc.conf? there is way
too little
information to really guess what's failing.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

> Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:37:54 -0800 (PST)
> From: twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Hey all, I'm trying to get on the 5.3 bandwagon with my
Toshiba
> Tecra 8100 after using 4.x on it for years (all same
hardware).

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugbusters/2004-December/000070.html.

> Is this still the case?  It just seems hard to believe that I
> can't use a pcmcia card (I will try to find another one to
test
> with, but this one has worked under 4.x FBSD, 3 Linux distros
> and 3 windoze versions).

=====
With a few exceptions, secrecy is deeply incompatible with
democracy and with science.
     --Carl Sagan
http://www.projectcensored.org/publications/2005/index.html