Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:00:18 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New cdboot ISO available

John Baldwin wrote:

> On 12-Jan-02 Kent Stewart wrote:
>

>>John Baldwin wrote:
>>

>>>A new experimental CD bootstrap was recently added to -stable for the i386
>>>architecture that allows the full contents of the CD to be used when
>>>booting.
>>>The method we currently uses relies on the BIOS emulating a floppy drive
>>>from a
>>>floppy image file on the CD.  This limits the size of the kernel that we can
>>>boot off of.  The new CD bootstrap allows a full GENERIC kernel to be used
>>>when
>>>booting off of a CD, allowing more drivers to work out of the box.  However,
>>>not all BIOS's that support the older method support this newer method of CD
>>>booting.
>>>

>>I have a ECS K7S5A that booted but sysinstall was completely hung. I
>>had to hit the reset button to reboot.
>>

> Hmmm, that is weird.  I assume it doesn't hang with the normal ISO image?

It boots the 4.4-release that was part of the 4-cd set just fine. This
K7S5a has a DVD player on it for the CDROM. I tried the 4.5-iso on one
of my other computers and it ran just fine. I have to go out but when
I get back I have two other SiS-735 based computers that are being
upgraded so they have W Paul's SiS-900 network update added. They all
have CDROM players on them. I will try them when I reboot after
installing the results of my latest cvsup.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA