Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:42:37 -0600
From:      Adam Fabian <afabian@austin.rr.com>
To:        Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to 5.3-STABLE broke X?

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 12:57:24PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Obscure error messages:
>
> I note that Xorg went from 6.7.0 to 6.8.1, and I poked around

I upgraded from 6.7.0 to 6.8.1 and also got obscure (but different)
error messages.  The 5.3 packages on FreeBSD's FTP servers are 6.7.0.
After looking a bit and not really finding a solution to my problem, I
just downloaded the binary packages and downgraded back to 6.7.0.
(This is probably a lot easier than compiling, since you'd probably
have to use portdowngrade on a lot of ports, or do it manually, or
some such.)

> What do I do now?  Reinstall FreeBSD?  Install XFree86 instead?
> Somehow downgrade to 6.7.0 until wiki.x.org gets its act together?

Newer isn't always better... and it *is* X.  It's been the same X11R6
for years. ;)

--
Adam Fabian (afabian@austin.rr.com)