Date:      18 Mar 96 16:56:22 GMT
From:      peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: statically linked linux ELF binaries

msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith) writes:

>Ege Rxbekk stands accused of saying:
>>

>> In -current, I've noticed that statically linked linux ELF binaries
>> get executed even though the linux binary loader is not installed. I

>In -current, there is no linux binary loader any more.  If you have the
>linux LKM loaded, attempts to run a.out binaries will fail.

Huh??  Since when??

Somebody had better tell the linux a.out netscape that I'm running
at this very moment, because it obviously hasn't heard.. :-)

Seriously though, the old linux a.out loader is still there - it's part
of the emulator LKM itself.  When the emulator is loaded, it registers itself
with the ELF loader, so loading the emulator gets both linux a.out and elf
support.

(Somehow, I suspect you didn't say what you meant.. :-)

As for the static linux binaries being run even without the emulator
present, yes, that's a worry. :-(  The elf code "determines" whether it's
a linux, native or SVR4 binary based on the dynamic loader path.  If it's
purely static, then this "hint" is not available.. :-(

Oh, bother... :-(