Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:08:44 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP_ONESBCAST and upcoming RELENG_4_9 freeze

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:35:03PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> Your change makes it so that broadcasts sent to 255.255.255.255 will
> be transmitted on all interfaces marked with a ONES_BCAST flag, right?

It really is a very simple addition.

It's a protocol-level socket option, so doesn't interfere with the legacy
behaviour unless processes specifically request it, but that's about the gist
of it. It is an identical API to that documented by Stevens in "UNIX Network
Programming" and present in BSD/OS from 4.x onwards.

Ours is slightly more complete in that it will heed the option for a raw
IP socket without IP_HDRINCL. It is less obfuscated due to our delayed
checksumming than the BSD/OS code.

> A nice solution to the problem; I was gonna hack it so such packets
> were sent on all interfaces with IFF_BROADCAST.  I like your solution
> better.  I'm happy to know that will be in 5.2 and I have PR or two
> to assign over to you so you can close them.  ;^)

No problemo. Will do.

BMS