Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2011 00:21:41 +0000
From:      Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@solarflare.com>
To:        Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sfxge: Remove interrupt self-test code

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 00:35 +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 09:34:11PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > sfxge: Remove interrupt self-test code
> >
> > It's not currently used; it didn't build on 32-bit and the previous
> > build fix is incorrect.  If we really implement self-tests we can do
> > this again properly.
>
> Yes, I've also already noticed that this part of r227640 wasn't quite
> correct. However Philip suggested to just leave it in for now until
> we figure out what on earth the code actually is supposed to do and as
> the atomic_cmpset_ptr(9) also works on LP64 and isn't more broken than
> the atomic_cmpset_long(9) that was in there before (actually this should
> have been atomic_cmpset_64(9) for an uint64_t, which isn't necessarily
> available on ILP32 including i386 though). Probably this should have
> been converted to be of type cpuset_t and to use the accessors from
> <sys/cpuset.h> as nowadays we also support more than 64 CPUs. I'm also
> fine with just nuking the interrupt self-test altogether though.

The hardware RX flow hash indirection table has 6-bit entries so it's
not possible to use more than 64 RX queues without some kind of flow
steering.  So for the time being this driver sets a limit of 64
interrupts.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.