Date:      Fri, 9 Dec 2011 14:46:10 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Two problems still present in RC3

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 10:30:43AM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 03:10 AM 12/9/2011, Johan Hendriks wrote:
>
> >After a /etc/netstart, i get the following:
> >ifconfig: create: bad value.
>
> I get the "create: bad value" messages as well. What's more, if I
> change rc.conf to assign variables of the form ifconfig_*, such as
>
> ifconfig_re0_1="inet 192.168.0.1"
> ifconfig_re0_1_alias0="inet 192.168.0.2"
>
> instead of using an ip_addrs_* variable, I still get those messages.
>
> I have confirmed that if I run /etc/netstart after booting, I lose
> connectivity just as you do.
>
> I recognize the challenge of specifying the network configuration in
> a declaratory rather than a procedural environment, because there
> are so many contingencies and possible combinations of parameters.
> But there doesn't seem to be any combination of variables I can
> assign in rc.conf that doesn't cause errors when I try to create
> VLANs.

I would advise everyone experiencing ""those messages"" or any anomalies
of this sort to please set rc_debug="yes" in /etc/rc.conf and make sure
they have serial or firewire console set up.  If you don't have some
form of remote console, then this is going to be difficult to debug.
See rc.conf(5) for what the option does and therefore why serial console
will be needed.

The information that's needed is what ifconfig commands are being issued
on your systems.  This cannot be easily determined from rc.conf variables
like ifconfig_snakes_in_the_grass="rocks moss", hence the above request.

"Your" means Brett Glass and Johan Hendriks.

Finally, please keep in mind the possibility that both of you are
experiencing different problems.  I have no evidence at this point to
support or refute that claim, but it's something that needs to be
considered.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |