Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:00:19 -0400
From:      Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   ATA100-7200rpm vs 10k-rpm SCSI for build box

I'm currently trying to put together a personal workstation whose
primary duty is compiling large projects (FreeBSD, mozilla, grass, etc.)
under FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT. Im basically trying to get as much
performance for builds as I can without going broke. So far this is what
Im looking at:

$--- 128M PC133 RAM
$150 Asus A7V (w/ Promise ATA100 controller)
$297 AMD Athlon 850 (still waiting for than price drop)
$63  Tekram 390F UW-SCSI Controller (Symbios)
$132 4.5G 10000RPM Seagate Cheetah
or
$97  IBM Deskstar 75GXP ATA-100 7200RPM 15G (DTLA)

The question is, whats the real speed difference between a IBM 75GX
(http://www.tweakmax.com/html/ibm75gxp/ibm-1.cfm) and ye old 10000RPM
Cheetahs in FreeBSD? Id imagine the Cheetah is faster for compiles, but
is the difference small enough that Id be better off spending the $100 I
save on ATA100 and spend it on another 128M of RAM. I would of course be
using the drive as one drive per channel w/ softupdates, noatime.

Any advice, bonnie stats, or make world times would be appreciated.

--
thomas r. stromberg                :               tstromberg@rtci.com
senior systems administrator       :      http://www.afterthought.org/