Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:47:34 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Alex Zivenko <twistfire@rambler.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail redirect problem

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 09:25:22AM +0300, Alex Zivenko wrote:

> I have some problem here. I need a mail account on the another server, wh=
ich runs on freebsd. I have a mail account, for example twistfire@rambler.r=
u. I need a mail account like
> fire@someserver.ru. But the  acces is restricted to prevent security vuln=
erabilities. The mail server is closed for ip addresses not from their subn=
ets. So I decided not to login there, but when the mail will come to fire@s=
omeserver.ru t will automatically redirects to twistfire@rambler.ru.
> How can I do that? What I need to do in Sendmail?

Sounds like you need to read the aliases(5) man page.  If you haven't
got access to /etc/mail/aliases on the machine in question, then you
can probably just set up a .forward file in your home dir on that
machine (See forward(5)). That just overrides the local delivery
agent, instead forwarding the e-mail to the address in the .forward
file.  Don't set up two machines to forward to each other or they will
spend a lot of time playing ping-pong with your e-mail, which will
eventually be bounced back to sender as undeliverable.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

PS You can set up that sort of either-way forwarding using
procmail(1), but it relies on using formail(1) to insert special
headers so that you can avoid forarding loops.  See the procmailex(1)
man page for an example.

--=20
                                                      Savill Way

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC