Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 10:57:09 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   XML-based ports system ?

Hey guys,

What are your ideas/opinions with respect to using XML for the ports system?
*If* we want FreeBSD to be an XML-based OS in 5 years, then we could start
working towards that right now. IMHO it would be awesome if FreeBSD would
indeed use XML to replace a lot of custom file formats.

[1] Do you consider XML a useful file format?

[2] Do you consider it useful to replace a lot of custom file formats with XML?

[3] Do you consider it an advantage if XML would be more closely integrated in
    FreeBSD?

[4] Do you consider it an advantage if a new ports system would be based on
    XML?

*If* we would want to consider migrating the Ports Collection then we could
initiate a pilot project in which we'd think up a DTD, write XSLT stylesheets
that would convert from XML to the current set of files (Makefile, distinfo
and pkg-*) and write a converter from the current set of files to an XML file
(would probably be the hardest part).

This applies to some other BSD variants as well, ofcourse.

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
Java Architect

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ