Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 19:36:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sb awe32 wavetable synthesis midi

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, matthew c. mead wrote:

> 	Hmm.  At this point in time I'm not so interested in that
> as I am the patch management.  I'm going to look into getting
> some documentation from Creative Labs, and find out what kind of
> agreement that requires.

I honestly do not know.  I know people who have written their own upload
routines for DOS programs, based on those in the developer's package.

> I'd certainly like to be able to do
> custom wavetable midi synthesis under FreeBSD with this card -
> speaking of which - I bought one last night in frustration.  It's
> not the SB32AWE, but the SB 32PnP.  I don't know what the
> difference is, does anyone else?

Oh.  I think there is a difference.  (Or am I confusing with the the
Value Edition?)  A friend has the sb32, and I think it's basically the
same (the board is smaller, if I recall; the AWE32 has two SIMM slots and
is a full-length ISA card).

> This one does AWE stuff (the
> AWE programs run on it), and the wave table synthesis sounds
> pretty good...  It sounds best in the little AWE32 Control Panel
> where you can play with a little keyboard using the mouse, but
> for some reason when I play midi files with media player or
> creative midi, they don't sound as good.  Any ideas?

That is a different software package.  My guess is that you need to use
the AWE Control Panel or the AWEUTIL program to kick it into General MIDI
Emulation or somesuch.  Also, the media player must support the "sysex"
command so that the AWE can be addressed.

It's been so long since I've played with that I can't remember.