Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:15:48 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Tony Balazs <tony@rothstein.co.uk>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org'" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems installing XFree86

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 04:30:49PM +0100, Tony Balazs wrote:
> During my attempted installation of Xfree86 from CD I'm getting the following message:
>
> acd0: READ_BIG - MEDIUM ERROR asc = 1  ascq = 05  error = 00
>
> Does this mean that the CD is damaged?

Dunno.

> Also, during the installation I have weird characters around the box showing "Extracting ... into /usr directory...
> (lots of 3's A's, a "U" and an upturned ?).

Don't worry. It's just the font/charset you are using in the console.
Those chars are supposed to be the ASCII line drawing characters, you
know, the ones DOS progs used to draw boxes around text and pop-ups. I
see the same thing using the iso-thin-8x16 font.

> So 2 questions: is my CD damaged and what do the weird characters signify?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Tony

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX