Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 11:47:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, koshy@india.hp.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lmbench IDE anomaly

> > That's about right.  The SCSI disk gets the chance to sort the I/O to suit
> > itself, optimising its performance.  The IDE disk only gets to look at one
> > transaction at a time, so it's at the mercy of the disksorting code in
> > the operating system.  I don't know that FreeBSD's disksort stuff is
> > terribly wonderful, but I'd happily stand corrected.
>
> The disksort stuff is pessimal.  Contact mday@elbereth.org for details.

The original poster was doing a couple of lmdd from /dev/rwd0a, the raw
device. Does disksort get in the way in this case ?

BTW, running a number of dd on /dev/wd0a works *much* better, you get
almost n times the bandwidth at least with up to 5 instances, what I
tried.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/