Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 12:04:46 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 810?

> I recently got a quote from a hardware vendor which made the following
> claim:
>
> > All Socket 370PGA Motherboards use either the 810 or [the] 810c chip
> > set which does not support FreeBSD because 16MB of the motherboard
> > memory is used for the display controller.  There is no way to tell
> > the FreeBSD kernel not to use this memory so it will corrupt data.
>
> I find this statement rather dubious.  Can anyone out there say with
> more certainty?

I can say with certainty that there are S370PGA boards that don't use the
810; we have a number inhouse here that use the 440BX for example.

I'd be quite surprised if the 16MB shared video aperture wasn't correctly
described by the PnP data; this may require 4.x or 3.x with VM86 defined
to deal with it "right".  If nobody else has any commentary on this,
we'll get one into the lab.