Date:      31 May 2001 10:57:45 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        "Jan Knepper" <jan@digitaldaemon.com>, "FreeBSD-ISP" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Log file rotation with Apache.

"Simon" <simon@optinet.com> writes:

> How often do you run webalizer? i doubt there is a way to
> rotate the log files without touching apache. It won't know
> what to do once the log file is gone. If you simply rename
> and then compress, apache will still append to the same
> file and will therefore corrupt it.

The supplied "rotatelogs" program is very useful: the logs get piped
through it and rotated automatically. The latest release has features
to provide more human-friendly naming of rotated log files, and IIRC,
more control over when rotation occurs. This means you don't have to
stop/start or kill -HUP your daemon, a *major* win. Here's the doc:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/programs/rotatelogs.html

Here's how I'm using it on one site (names changed):

# Now that I'm using a CustomLog which includes the virtual server
# name:port, we can distinguish accesses in the single log file.
# Unfortunately we can't do this with ErrorLog, so use separate files
# distinguised by filename.  Automatically rotate them every 24 hours
# to keep size in check.

<VirtualHost    *:8203>
ServerName      testing.shenton.org
ServerAdmin     cshenton@shenton.org
DocumentRoot    /usr/local/www/data
ErrorLog        "|/usr/local/www/bin/rotatelogs /usr/local/www/logs/testing.shenton.org:8203_error 86400"
CustomLog       "|/usr/local/www/bin/rotatelogs /usr/local/www/logs/access_log 86400" virtual
</VirtualHost>

I too am curious if webalizer can deal with this: can I just point it
at my current log file (access_log) as well as the rotated ones with
the UNIX timestamp-suffix?