Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:09:11 -0500
From:      "Pratt, Benjamin E." <bepratt@stcloudstate.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD BETA5 & BETA6 won't boot

I'm trying to install FreeBSD BETA #6 onto my computer but the burned =
ISO won't boot.  The boot is stalling just after detecting my CD-RW =
drive.  I'm not sure if it's with the CD-RW detecting or with mounting =
the root file system.  I also had the same problem when I CVSUPed my =
system from 5.2.1 to 5.3 BETA #5 along with the BETA #5 ISO.
=20
I did not have a problem booting with 6.0-CURRENT as of a few days ago =
(it's what I'm running now).  I went to 6.0-CURRENT when Scot Hetzel =
suggested it may be an ATA driver in a post here: =
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D1432335+0+/usr/local/www/db=
/text/2004/freebsd-current/20040905.freebsd-current
=20
I'm not sure if this is still an ATA driver issue with the 5.3 BETA =
releases but I'd really like to run 5.3 when it becomes stable.  I'd =
also like to wipe the drive and try a fresh install from ISO so what can =
I do?
=20
Thanks for any help,
=20