Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:54:32 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FICL and setting BTX variables

Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Joe Abley wrote:
>
> > # some general early substitutions
> > {
> >   gsub("\t", "    ");                 # replace each tab with 4 spaces
>
> Mhm.. I'm not sure. One of the goals here is also to make the resulting
> string as short as possible, because it directly influences the size of
> /boot/loader later. The string doesn't have to be nicely formatted, it
> just has to compile. So, I'd suggest gsub("\t"," ");

Let me come in Joe's defense here. :-) I told him that we wanted
this really stripped, but I also mentioned that when I first got to
replace this script, I decided to first write a 100% compatible
replacement, and *then* apply patches to it, so the 100% compatible
replacement would be in the repo.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	If you sell your soul to the Devil and all you get is an MCSE from
it, you haven't gotten market rate.