Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 15:49:21 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slackware vs FreeBSD, aswell as my opinion on this list.

On Fri 20 Mar, Sue Blake wrote:

> Here's an example. The same day I installed I read up on how to build a new
> kernel, using the handbook and FAQ together. I followed the instructions,
> and voila! New kernel! No worries! Nervewracking, but it worked well.

I waited some weeks....
but it worked first time (OK, some problems with LogiTech-Busmouse and
IO-conflict, but it is in the LINT-file and I searched the
mailing-lists).
I don't think it is _that_ "nervewracking".

> Months later I was still trying to figure out how to do simple things
> like install ports.

Hm. I first thought that the .tar.gz files actually were inside the
/ports/whatever directories and forgot to mount the CD.

> Does this mean that the kernel rebuilding stuff is very well written for a
> newbie?

IMHO, yes. At least for me.

> I doubt it very much. It was perfectly written for me when I knew
> nothing. Has anyone else tried following these instructions? Did it work or
> not?

It worked, as I said.

> Can you follow it all except for one sentence somewhere?

I still have problems with ISA-devices (i.e. my SB-card).
But that's not important to me, so I can live without it (for now).
I hate IRQs, DMA, whatever.

cheers,
Rainer
|Rainer Duffner, E-Mail: duffner@fh-konstanz.de  |
|        &   Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de  |
|Fachhochschule Konstanz, Germany                |
|"What's a Network ?"  - Bill Gates, early 1980s |
|   WWW:http://www-stud.fh-konstanz.de/~duffner  |