Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:44:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        <part_lion@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Details ... (please confirm or deny pccard bridging)

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 02:23:43AM -0600, Joesh Juphland wrote:
>>
>> This solved it.  Thanks a lot.
>>

>> >Joesh Juphland wrote:
>> >You must use sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge_refresh=1 whenever an
>> >interface appears or disappears after boot.
>
> Cool!  Other than the source, where is this option documented? :)

I am not sure if it ever was.

In current, IIRC the mechanism is automatic and the automaticness just
never got MFCed.

> And: can any bridging work over USB NICs?

Bridging will work over any interface that can transmit and receive
promiscuously (so far as I know, none of the 802.11b cards can do it,
unfortunately). Whether it works _well_ or not depends on the efficiency of
the interface, which argues strongly in favor of PCI cards with excellent
DMA capabilities. This almost totally disqualifies pccard interfaces
because they are incapable of DMA and argues against USB interfaces because
of the low bandwidth of USB combined with the large amount of CPU
handholding that USB interfaces need (hint: USB is largely a polled system).

Of course, with a laptop you often don't have a choice.

IMNSHO, this form of bridging is deprecated in favor of netgraph bridging,
which I think is a bit easier to configure.

See share/examples/netgraph/ether.bridge .