Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 17:01:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        "Tomlinson, Drew" <Drew.Tomlinson@lc.ca.gov>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to Edit FSTAB When / is Read-Only

Tomlinson, Drew wrote:
> I am new to both Unix and FreeBSD so I apologize if this question is very
> elementary.
>
> I am running release 4.0 on a 486-DX with a 850 MB IDE drive.  I have since
> added a 6 GB IDE drive.  I used /stand/sysinstall to both FDISK and Label
> the drive.  Both drives in this system were FDISKed with the option to use
> all space for FBSD and not be compatible with other file systems.

Eek!  This can confuse newer SCSI adapters, so this isn't recommended.
This isn't your problem though.

> Here is the content of my /etc/fstab:
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
> Pass#
> /dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/ad0s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0c              /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> /dev/ad2s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0

These three below are problematic.  You are trying to mount filesystems on
top of existing filesystems.  Don't use the 'A' auto defaults in the label
editor when you are adding a disk, instead, create new partitions by hand
and mount them in unused places, such as /v, /local0, /my_new_hard_drive
(not recommended :P).  First off, take all the `ad2' entries out of your
fstab.  Then, fire up sysinstall, and fdisk and label your drive again
from the `Configuration' menu option.  When you label the driver, just
create 1 partition that spans the whole drive and give it a mount point.
Note that after you finish each step (fdisk and label) you will need to
hit 'W' to tell sysinstall to write the changes since you aren't doing a
new install.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/