Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:16:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4-port PCI ethernet card?

Mike Tancsa writes:
| On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:32:05 +0200, in sentex.lists.freebsd.net you wrote:
| >could you suggest/comment on 2-port or 4-port ethernet cards that work with
| >FreeBSD -stable?
|
| Dlink DFE-580TX. Works quite well. I have it in my news server which pushes
| over 30Mb/s sustained on 3 of the 4 links.

No that's the DFE-570TX (ie the good one) the DFE-580TX is not so good :-(
I commited code to make the 580 behave better and it has been MFC'ed into
-stable.  The 570 uses the ste(4) driver.  The Znyx cards work better since
the are dc(4) cards.  I have a few around here now that you can only buy
the 580 cards.  So the 580 is stable now but not a top performer.

You won't sustain 30mbs RX on the ports you might get 40mbs total.  If
you run only one port then you can get good speed.  The RX engine appears
to hog the bus.

| http://www.dlink.com/products/adapters/dfe580tx/
|
| uses the dc driver. Plays well with other devices in the same box (adaptec
| SCSI and 3ware IDE RAID)

Doug A.