Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:18:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/41961: jikes 1.16 core dumps on FreeBSD (but not on RedHat Linux 7.3)

>Number:         41961
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       jikes 1.16 core dumps on FreeBSD (but not on RedHat Linux 7.3)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Jikes core dumps when compiling a certain set of files.
However, on RedHat Linux 7.3, with the exact same source
files for jikes and compilation command line, jikes does
not core dump. Therefore, it appears to be a FreeBSD-specific
problem.

>How-To-Repeat:
To reproduce the bug:

0. Install the jikes-1.16_1 port (/usr/ports/java/jikes)
1. Download the file http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sablevm/sablevm-class-library-1.0.3.tar.gz
2. Unpack the tar file
3. cd sablevm-class-library-1.0.3/
4. find src -name '*.java' > files
5. mkdir classes
6. jikes -g -d classes -bootclasspath src -classpath src -sourcepath src `tail +855 files`

The compilation will fail with jike core dumping.

This does *not* happen on RedHat 7.3 with the exact same jikes
sources. It may have something to do with our pthread library,
because jikes links with it.

The 'tail' is just to not overflow the command line with too many arguments.
But also, if you change the 'tail' to '+856' it doesn't core dump. So the
file java/security/DomainCombiner.java may be related to the problem.