Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:56:43 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "'jmutter@netwalk.com'" <jmutter@netwalk.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD as a proxy server

I'll try and field a few of these.

	A quick search through the ports collection shows up.  Squid,
tinyproxy, transproxy, wcolEpro-1998.07.13, wwwoffle.

	I personally use Squid and like it, but I don't serve that many
users.

> 2.  What type of hardware am I looking at?  I was considering an AMD
> K6/2 300/350/400 + 128M + 4.5 Wide SCSI.  It will only serve between
> 30 and 50 users and internet activity will be kept to a minimum.

	Sounds fine to me, I have several K6-2 chips and they are good
performers.

> 3.  How do I configure the box so that the only access to the outside
> world is though the proxy?  Can I just take proxied ports out of
> /etc/services?  This seems like the wrong answer, but I've never done
> this before so maybe it is the right way to do it.

	You'd probably want to comment out entries in /etc/inetd.conf, not
/etc/services.  Also take a look at setting up the firewall (ipfw or
ipfilter).

> 4.  Finally, the higher-ups are worried about virii.  Is it possible
> to scan downloads including ActiveX and Java/Javascript at the proxy
> before they are passed on to the client machines?  Again, payware is
> an acceptable solution.  I believe that solutions such as this exist
> for NT, but I've not seen anything for FreeBSD.

	This I don't know.  Sorry.  :(